Saturday, April 30, 2016

Burnout and Birds

Okay, so lately, I've been drawing a "blank" when trying to blog.  Its not like I haven't seen and done things that at the time I thought that I'd like to share; but when it comes time to put pen to, fingers to keyboard...I can't find the right words and soon lose interest.  Guess this is just plain ole' burnout, and the only way I know to combat burnout is to start writing, so here I go.....

This past week, our youngest, Katie, got a week off and came down here to visit us for a few days...Huzzah!  We had a great time.  One day we just hung out running errands like going to the nursery for a few geraniums and herbs, then shopping at the farm market for early corn and Carolina strawberries.

Then Katie helped Lee polish up his new toy. 
Our new toy (more on the motorhome later)
That evening we pulled out a frozen meatloaf from the freezer and cooked up an old fashioned comfort meal with sides of corn on the cob and a salad.  Then we followed that by a night of board and card games. 

The next day we drove over to Virginia Beach and toured the Virginia Marine Science Museum, a long-time family favorite. 
Turtle at VMMS looking at my shoes
It recently has been remodeled and expanded, and we were curious how it had changed.  The last time we were there in 2000, Katie was about 12 years old, and her brother, Vince, was a docent assigned to the horseshoe crab touchtank.  There are two docents at the touchtank now, but just like before, none of us wanted to touch those darned crabs.
Vince at the touch tank with Julie and Katie, in 2000
Julie and Katie along hiking trail, lookout tower, in 2000

They have a few outside exhibits, but it was really pretty chilly, so we took one of the short trails through an aviary with some sweet tweety birds.
Bluebird at VMMS aviary trail

Oriole at VMMS aviary trail
We looked at all the exhibits except the outdoors ones.  One could spend the whole day there, but we toured it in 3 1/2 hours.  We especially liked the aquariums, the harbor seals and the river otters.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get very good pictures through the glass of the tanks.

That evening we got home late due to no less than TWO traffic jams, so we decided to try an upscale corner pub nearby instead of cooking.  Lee and I had been wanting to try it out, so this was a perfect opportunity.  Even though it was Wednesday and the place was packed, we got a seat pretty quickly.  Lee and Katie enjoyed a couple of craft drafts, and we all gobbled down their special, a large cheese pizza.  When we got back home, I took a Bendryl and some cough medicine for my allergies, and that pretty well zonked me out.  So Katie and Lee spent the evening playing cards and watching me sleep on the couch. zzzz

The next day we took in an early movie before Katie left for Roanoke.  We went to see the new version of Disney's The Jungle Book.  Lee thought he'd be bored thinking it was just another cartoon, but the realistic animation and live acting was so good that he really enjoyed it, too.  I highly recommend it ... it's not just a kids' movie.  In fact, there were mostly adults in the audience.

She took off and we went back to our same ole same ole.  Its always great to spend time with our (not so) little KatieLu, and can't wait to see her again soon.  Now that we have a new-to-us motorhome, we'll probably see her sooner than later. 

Until next time, Peace an Joy....

                                             ~~ Karen ~~


  1. It is SO good to see a post from you again!! I be the new toy looks great all shined up! It was great that Katie could some for an extended visit! Love to you and Lee!!

  2. a visit from family and some fun sure can perk up the days. like your new 'toy', too. :)


Love Comments. Please share your thoughts.....