This quilt has been a challenge at times, but I'm gaining more confidence. After our second class, we were sent home to continue cutting our squares and fusing the tricot on the backs, and I did that. The following class we brought in our blocks and started cutting our sashing. At this point I found many of my blocks were no longer 12 1/2" square. What the heck! So, the instructor suggested I just trim my blocks to 12" or less instead. I was sooooo bummed -- I thought I had been so careful. So I worked on it all week. First I re-measured each block (26 of them) and noted their dimensions on sticky notes. I discovered that only one block was "off" was by 3/4" in one direction. Most were 1/8" or less "off", and a few were 1/4" off; only two were perfect. So, I took the one block that was off by 3/4" out of the mix and appliqued cutout pieces of it onto a new block that I cut out of the back of another t-shirt. Then I trimmed all the blocks down to 12 1/4" squares. Through all this I discovered that those blocks I had appliqued were the ones that were off by 1/4". Aha! This is why the blocks seemed to shrink! Note to self....rough cut, stabilize, applique, and THEN final trim.
Yesterday I started the sashing and cornerstones. I'm so happy to report this has been going pretty well so far. I went with black sashing. I found a black print with tiny white paw-prints on sale at Jo-Ann's one day while waiting for Lee to finish up getting his car fixed -- what luck. I bought enough to back the quilt and add sashing. It's perfect because the school mascot is a bulldog. For the cornerstones I decided on a bright pink batik -- Katie's bedding is vivid oranges, pinks, and greens. This should fit in pretty well, and it's her favorite color. I'm going to try to embroider a flamingo (her basketball nickname) in redwork on a few of those cornerstones and a bulldog on a few of the sashes. That's today's project. No pictures today, sorry, but I promise to get some up next time. I've gotta get my camera battery charged first.