Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This Next - Kimono Robe

Here's the pattern, an 80s out-of-print, but not so out-of-date kimono I got from a fellow sewist's destash.  I seldom sew for myself, so this looked like something I could turn out quickly and with little stress.  It was really really easy.  I finished it within a few hours after I did the alterations to the pattern pieces.

Of course, it's not my size, so the 1st thing I had to do was expand the pattern pieces.  It has only 4 major pieces; the front panel, the back panel, the sleeves, and the banding that finishes off the front and neck.  I added 1-1/2 inches to the front and back pieces, then I added 2 inches in length to the front, back and banding.  I didn't make any alterations to the sleeves.  
 


The fabric is a black satin and gold print that I had in my stash.  I chose to serge all the seams since the fabric is satin and tends to ravel.  The set-in sleeves are very easy to do this way since you put the sleeves before sewing up the side seams.  The side seams and the sleeve seams are then sewn as a continuous seam.  This alleviates most of the curves that are sometimes troublesome while serging.

The final step is to install the banding to finish off the front.  I chose to do this step by hand.

The pattern also comes with a pocket and sash/belt.  I'm going to put the pocket on later when I get some free time.  I'm thinking of embroidering a dragon onto it then installing it with a small cording around the perimeter. 

All in all, I'm really happy with this little robe, and boy did I need it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I have that pattern in my stash too. I've often thought it would be cute in a quilting cotton - like an Amy Butler type print - but I sure like what you choose.

    ReplyDelete

Love Comments. Please share your thoughts.....