Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Hello Friends,

 It's been quite awhile since I've posted, I know.  As you might know, I've been in treatment for cancer for the last few months which has kept me a bit under the weather.  Its not over, by a long shot, but I don't want to bore you with all the boring details.  Instead, lets look at some random pictures...

 Here's a little picture of a small waterfall at Old Man's Cave State Park in Southern Ohio.  It's one of my favorite places....so peaceful and serene.  This was taken last May.

 Here's an old Kodachrome from 1950 of my dad's tulip bed.  He planted it full of roses and allium later in the 60s.  He used granite cobblestones that the city of Columbus was digging up as they were repaving their streets.  They were tossing the cobbles, and Dad would gather them from the dump and bring a load out each weekend to build a fireplace in his new summer cottage.  His 1st project, though, was this flowerbed.

 Finally, here's a shot of Nassau, Bahamas.  Several years ago Lee and I took the girls on a 3-day cruise during their school's Winter Break.  I took this from the ship before we disembarked. 

I hope you enjoyed these little photos I have on-hand.  Hope to get out to take more pictures soon. 

In the meantime, have a nice week, an remember to count your blessings --

                                                    ~~ Karen ~~

Saturday, July 18, 2015

One of the advantages of living here are these wonderful sunsets we get to enjoy.

Our community acquired a vacant lot along the James River which was unsuitable for housing.  They made it into a beach and Park.  In this picture, you can see the jetty which leads a drainage ditch to the River.  The beach has a sandy bottom and stays shallow (knee-deep) about 100 feet out, so its nice place for kids and dogs to romp.  Frisbee is a big passtime for the older kids.  We also have a gazebo and a couple of picnic tables in addition to the wide sandy beach.  The neighborhood association maintains the park, and holds picnics and potlucks here a couple of times a year, bringing in local bands to entertain us.

Sometimes, Lee and I hike down to the Beach to watch dolphins swim upriver to feed during the early morning hours.  It seems I never have my camera when we see them, but here's a shot of upriver at night.  I was surprised to learn recently that manatees can be seen in the Chesapeake Bay area from time to time.  They migrate from warmer areas south of here.  How 'bout that. We haven't seen that, yet, but maybe....

Living by the sea is a new and fun experience for us.  I've run across some wonderful vistas that are so peaceful and pretty.  I'm hoping that I can start regaining more energy to drag out my tripod and camera to capture some of these beautiful scenes after chemo and radiation stop a few weeks from now.  In the meantime, I'll just have to be satisfied with these random cell phone shots.  I'm halfway there, Huzzah.  

Until next time --

                                                    ~~ Karen ~~

Friday, July 10, 2015

Since I'm house-bound/couch-bound for awhile, I'm working on sorting and labeling some digital photos that I've been neglecting.  Thought I'd share a few that didn't put in my post about Katie's graduation last May (you can find it here, if you missed it).

Now, I didn't get any pictures myself, so these were taken by the University, Julie and daughter-in-law, Lisa.
Sister, Julie, placing Katie's hood

Katie in uniform for 1st part of ceremony

Katie and Julie before the ceremonies begin

Some of the Grands enjoying Old Man's Cave
Sorry about the pixelating.  Some cameras had higher resolutions than others, so when I increased the size here, the resolution and therefore, the pixel density decreased....oops.  I'll try to do better next time.


Saturday, July 4, 2015

A New Adventure

...and my words to him were, "What? Cancer...again? Is it melanoma, kidney metastasis?"  He gently said, "No.  Its esophageal.  A whole new kind, malignant.  Probably Stage II...maybe III.  Can't stage until we remove it.  Tomorrow, we need another CTscan.... "  

It took me 2 days to Google my prognosis, yeah, I was apprehensive about learning about this one.  The numbers are scary, can't lie.

There are two things I want to say here. 

Most Importantly - If you are living with GERD, be aware that it is a serious condition, and you must be diligent that it doesn't turn into Barrett's Esophagus.  Talk to your doc.  Read up on it at a reputable site like the Mayo Clinic's site.  Please enlighten yourselves and your loved ones that may have GERD.

Secondly - I am undergoing Chemo and Radiation for the next few months, and am getting pretty shaky and weak.  I find it difficult to type, so I probably won't be posting often.  But I do hope to continue to upload some pictures and link up when I can.  Please know, I'm reading and following you all, so keep me entertained, okay LOL.  Seriously, I truly treasure you, my Blogger Family, and wish I could share with you stories of all the AMAZING people and sweet souls I'm meeting along my New Adventure.  So many wonderful folks with wonderful gifts they share generously.

Until next time